The life of a cooker hood depends on the cleanliness of an important element - a grease filter. In its cells, dirt and combustion products gradually accumulate. Disposable models are made of synthetics and can not be processed. Durable metal hood filters can be cleaned with detergents.
Causes of filter contamination
A cooker hood draws in dirty air, soot and fumes. The filter protects the internal surface of the device from getting into the engine small particles of fat that settle on the outside of the grill.
The longer ventilation works, the more the filter mesh clogs with a sticky, oily layer with an unpleasant odor.
The carbon trap is optionally installed in recirculation models. The absorbent in the form of granules or powder absorbs harmful and smelling substances. When they accumulate, it is impossible to clean the charcoal filter; the cartridges must be changed periodically.
Why clean the hood
An electric household appliance needs regular care, not only for aesthetic reasons. A clogged filter has a poor ability to conduct air masses, which affects the efficiency and speed of the hood. Dense fat deposits in the cells of the grate reduce the life of the engine, leading to its overheating.
A dirty greasy filter is a safety hazard because it can ignite the device.
For people with allergies or with weakened immune systems, the decay products of combustion are especially harmful: formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide. If cleaning the hood from fat is not carried out, toxins in large quantities accumulate in the air, causing malaise.
Food dirt attracts insects - cockroaches and fruit flies, which are difficult to get rid of.
The best ways to cleanse
It is recommended to wash the hood filter monthly with mild neutral agents. With little contamination, fat easily dissolves in hot water with the addition of dishwashing liquid. Old sebaceous clusters are more difficult to remove, radical methods will be needed.
Before bringing the filter with the adhering thick layer of dirt into perfect condition, it is advisable to pre-soak it in alkali or boil over low heat.
Soap and soda
Baking or soda ash added to a soap solution enhances the dissolution of fats. Qualitatively clean the hood filter as follows:
Fill the sink with hot water from a tap or teapot with boiling water for about three quarters, previously plugging it with a cork.
- Add a quarter cup of soda and 1 tablespoon to the water. dishwashing liquid, stir with a spatula until foam is formed.
- Immerse the grate completely in soapy water, leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a soft brush or non-abrasive sponge to remove any residual dirt.
- Rinse under the tap and dry well.
Instead of soaking, the exhaust grill can be boiled. This will require a spacious pan, depending on the size of the filter. To neutralize the fat will help half a glass of baking soda, which must be slowly poured into boiling water, and place the filter in the container for several minutes. After all the dirt rises to the surface, remove the part, rinse with hot water from the tap.
You can clean the hood using ordinary household soap:
Pour 2.5-3 liters of water into an iron basin or pan, put on fire.
- Add half a bar of grated soap.
- Wait for the soap to dissolve and remove the basin from the stove.
- Place the wire rack in the container for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the filter with a sponge. The same solution does not hurt to wipe the hood.
Soaking in Vinegar
Using 9% table vinegar, stubborn stains are removed.
Before processing, it is necessary to ensure the influx of fresh air, and when soaking, use rubber gloves. For cleaning, you will need a rag abundantly moistened with vinegar. They wipe the places of fat accumulation and wait 10-15 minutes, then the filter is washed in hot water and rinsed thoroughly.
A large amount of fat can harm the dishwasher; using this method is often not recommended. You can wash the hood grill with special tools that protect the elements of the machine from corrosion.
The temperature of the water should not be too hot - the metal of which the filter is made can oxidize and change color.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
Fill the sink with warm water and lower the soaking grate into it for a few minutes.
- Put the filter on a baking sheet and pour over it with washing gel.
- Spread the gel evenly over the grid with a toothbrush.
- Leave the liquid on the filter for deep penetration into the oily layer for 1 hour, rinse with clean water.
- Rinse the filter in a dishwasher in an upright position with the addition of detergent.
In order to wash the kitchen hood filter from fat that has accumulated for a long time, it is recommended to leave it overnight in water with the addition of a pinch of citric acid. Fresh juice is useful if the impurities are insignificant: the lattice should be rubbed with the pulp of peeled lemon and left for 10 minutes, then rinse under running water and dry.
Manufacturers of kitchen hoods warn against the use of aggressive cleaning products in the instructions for the household appliance. An oven or grease cleaner is considered radical and requires some precautions.
Processing is carried out with an open window in protective gloves. It is advisable to put the grate smeared with caustic in the bag for 15 minutes to avoid the spread of unpleasant odors.
A similar effect has an aqueous solution of ammonia - ammonia. If it is poured into a dense plastic bag and the filter is put in for several hours, the grease will dissolve without a trace. After prolonged rinsing, the net should be taken out to fresh air to weather out the remnants of the pungent odor and left on the street until completely dry.
Filter Cleaning Instructions
It is easy to wash the grease filter of the hood if you follow this procedure:
Prepare soft brushes, a towel, and cleaning products.
- Cover the stove and furniture with oilcloth to protect against splashes.
- Disconnect the hood from the electrical network to protect yourself from electric shock.
- Unfasten the locks on which the grease filter is held, remove from the structure.
- Clean the hood filter in the selected way, observe the correct ratio of ingredients in the cleaning solutions.
- Rinse under hot running water, no particles of chemical compounds should remain on the grid.
- Dry the grill with a towel or naturally to prevent water from entering the electrical appliance.
- Put the filter in its original position, after having sanitized all available parts of the kitchen hood.