Mistresses often think about how to keep meat fresh. Most people consume this product on a daily basis, so it is important to know and be able to use the basic rules and special tricks. If you take this issue without proper attention, then after a couple of days the purchase may go bad.
Fresh meat storage
For many outdoor enthusiasts, the issue of product quality is very relevant. There are certain rules that you need to be aware of so that the storage of fresh meat is as long as possible. In the hot season, it is better to use those varieties that are stored longer - beef, lamb. First you need to separate the muscle from the bone, and then dry the piece well. A common problem during outings is flies. To scare them, sprinkle meat products with chopped tansy flowers. You can use borax powder - it helps preserve the freshness of the product and scares off insects.
To determine the shelf life of raw food, you need to know exactly the grade and condition of the meat product at the time of purchase. Shelf life of fresh meat under proper conditions can reach 72 hours. Remember that raw materials cannot be stored tightly packed in polyethylene. If you are not sure about the quality, then try to use the product within 48 hours. This is especially true for a pair of carcasses.
Chilled meat products can be stored at temperatures from -3 to -5 ° C for up to 96 hours. The storage temperature of fresh meat depends on the variety. Beef and pork are able to maintain freshness and quality at 7 ° C for up to 24 hours. Stuffing can be stored at 5 ° C for the same amount of time, and rabbit and chicken at 5 ° C retain their qualities for only 12 hours. At a temperature regime of 2 to 4 ° C, such a shelf life:
- beef will be fit for 3-4 days;
- pork and veal lasts up to 3 days.
The optimum temperature is considered to be from 0 to -3 ° C. Any kind of meat can be stored for up to 48 hours. At a temperature regime of -12 ° C, such periods:
- beef and poultry are stored up to 8 days;
- lamb remains usable for 6 days;
- pork - 3 days.
At a temperature regime of -20 ° C:
- beef is stored for 14 days;
- bird - 12 days;
- pork - up to 7 days.
At a temperature regime of -25 ° C:
- beef is suitable for consumption 18 days;
- any bird will be kept for up to 14 days;
- pork - 12 days.
Keeping fresh meat in the refrigerator
If the piece is pre-cooled to 0 ° C, the storage of fresh meat in the refrigerator will increase to 3 days. Place the product containers on the shelf with the lowest temperature and it will lie for a long time. Here's how to save meat without freezing:
- Place dry carcasses in containers or a pan, but do not close the lids tightly so that air enters.
- The use of plastic bags for such products is not suitable.
- Use vinegar for better preservation of meat products. It is necessary to wrap a piece of cloth or cloth soaked in the solution - this will help extend the shelf life for another couple of days.
The most famous way to preserve meat products is salting: generously salt the product, put in a ceramic container and cover with salt again. Charcoal will complement the effect - sprinkle it with a layer of about 4 cm on top of the salt. Food will last about a week at room temperature. A good way to store meat without a refrigerator is a napkin dipped in vinegar or lemon juice. Just wrap it and send it to a cold place. You can overlay a piece of ice, pre-wrapping it with a cloth.
Experts say that meat products can be stored using other methods. For example, place pieces of carcasses previously freed from fat inside a wooden crate and cover with nettle leaves. Place the container in a cool dark place: underground at a depth of 40 cm or in the basement. This method will allow you to store products for about 3 days. You can also keep fit by pouring warm fat into pieces.
How to keep fresh meat longer
If doubts about the suitability of a carcass crept in or you feel a slight smell, then you should not use such a product. All of these options are relevant only for the use of products of satisfactory quality. Simple ways to keep your meat fresh for longer:
- Rub a slice of lemon juice - this is a quick way.
- Lubricate the surface of the food with a mild salicylic acid solution.
- Using marinade will improve the safety of any kind of meat.
- You can dip the pieces in salted water, then in vinegar. Rinse thoroughly under running water before cooking.
- After salting meat products, you need to resort to a short soaking in yogurt or sour milk.