Broccoli can be consumed on its own or as an addition to various meat dishes. It contains a high content of vitamin C, proteins, folic acid and fiber, which have a beneficial effect on internal organs. In order for broccoli to become a delicious dish that is rich in nutrients, you need to know exactly how to cook it.
How much to cook broccoli
The basic principle of cooking is constant control over the process and cooking time. So that the vegetable does not lose all the useful vitamins for the body and does not acquire a porridge-like appearance with an unpleasant odor, it is important to learn how to cook it correctly. The cooking time and process may vary, because it all depends on which cabbage you use - frozen or fresh.
You can buy frozen cabbage in any supermarket or use a vegetable that you yourself previously put in the freezer. It is important to remember that such a vegetable does not require preliminary defrosting, since this process will lead to the loss of the shape and appearance of the cabbage. Then strictly follow the entire sequence of steps:
- Boil 1.5 liters of water, adding 1 tbsp. salt.
- Put the inflorescences in boiling water.
- You need to cook no more than 12 minutes.
- Remove the prepared cabbage from the water with a slotted spoon.
Boiling fresh broccoli is not difficult if you follow all the recommendations. Before the process itself, it is necessary to thoroughly rinse the vegetable under running water, and then leave it in salted water for 10 minutes. This will guarantee that if pests are kept in the head, then salt eliminates them. To properly cook inflorescences, follow these steps:
- First cut the main stem with a sharp knife.
- Begin to separate each bud with your hands, but if they fit snugly against the stem, then use a knife. Be careful not to damage the shape.
- Take a large pot, fill it with water and bring to a boil. Even if your head is small, it is recommended to boil it in a large amount of liquid.
- Add no more than two teaspoons of salt to 1.5 liters of water.
- In boiling water, gradually begin to lower the buds.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over medium heat for no more than five minutes.
- Then carefully remove the inflorescences from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- In order for them to retain their shape, immediately after cooking, pour them with ice water.
Recommendation: When buying broccoli, pay attention to its freshness. The head should be a uniform bright green color, and if you notice yellow, brown spots or dull flowers, then you should refuse to buy. The stalk should keep its shape and be tough, since softness is considered a sign that the vegetable has been stored for more than a month.
How to cook broccoli in a double boiler
Steamed broccoli retains all the beneficial substances, most of which are lost if you cook the cabbage in the usual way. Before cooking, distribute the head of cabbage on separate inflorescences and place them in a double boiler bowl. Be sure to cover the container with a lid, then after nine minutes you will get the finished dish. Before serving, it needs to be salted.
Video recipe how to cook broccoli
In order to know how to cook broccoli properly and get a tasty dish, you must follow the step-by-step procedure for its preparation not only in the pan, but also in the microwave. To do this, you can use both fresh and frozen products, this will not affect the taste of cabbage. A detailed cooking process is presented in the video.