In order to master the embroidery technique, it is necessary to purchase special tools, materials, get acquainted with the types of seams. Beginners are encouraged to use simple, ready-made patterns that will help you quickly learn how to embroider and later create complex, beautiful elements of clothing and interior decor.
Materials and tools for work
Cross stitching for beginners involves the use of canvas and special threads. Types of Canvas:
- Aida - made of cotton. Dimensions (number of cells per 10 cm) 11 p. - 43 pcs.; 14 p. - 55 pcs.; 16 p. - 60 pcs.; 18 p. - 70 pcs. The larger the size, the more elegant and complex the embroidery will turn out.
- Evenweave - used in cases where the drawing occupies a small part of the space (tablecloth, bed, pillowcase, napkin, etc.).
- Invoice - for embroidery on finished products (clothing, bag, towel, etc.).
- Stramin - for working with wool. Used to create a rug, tapestry, etc.
For embroidery with a cross and stitch, floss thread is often acquired. Always choose high-quality products that do not fade and withstand washing at 95 ° C. From the tools you will need:
- needle with a long eye;
- embroidery hoop;
- water soluble canvas marker.
In addition to basic materials and tools, needlewomen like accessories. List of the most popular:
- bones, files for storing floss;
- travel sets;
- thread threader;
- case for needles.
Cross Stitching Rules for Beginners
In addition to embroidery techniques, it is necessary to adhere to generally accepted recommendations. There are several of them:
- The fabric should be starched, processed along the edges.
- The optimal length of the thread is 25-30 cm, the maximum is 50 cm.
- The needle should fit the canvas - the larger the canvas, the thinner the needle.
- Work must be removed from the hoop.
- On the back side there should not be long broaches and knots.
- All upper stitches are performed in one direction.
- There should be a bright light source in the workplace.
- Before washing, the embroidery is rinsed in cold water to wash off the marker.
- The embroidery is washed in a warm soapy solution. Squeeze through a towel, dry with a warm iron, then iron hot from the back.
Types of seams
Beginners should additionally familiarize themselves with the varieties of crosses. The main types of seams:
- bilateral cross;
- half cross
- one fourth cross;
- one eighth of the cross;
- three fourth crosses.
Cross stitch techniques
You can embroider using different methods. Four popular ways:
- Danish - first embroider the line with a half-cross (oblique lines on the front side), then come back to create a complete cross.
- Traditional - crosses embroider individually.
- Skipping stitches. If there is a gap of up to three stitches between the crosses, you can stretch the thread diagonally from the back.
- Simple diagonal - stitches are made diagonally. First, half-crosses are embroidered up, then they come back down or vice versa.
How to embroider a cross for beginners according to the pattern
Get a ready-made set with a simple pattern, outlined with canvas and thread. It will be much easier to learn with him. Follow the general step by step instructions:
- Find a center. According to the scheme, count the crosses horizontally and vertically so that 10 cm of free space is left at the edges of the canvas.
- Hoop the canvas.
- Start embroidering from the upper left corner, from left to right.
- Choose the appropriate embroidery method. The optimal cross stitch technique for beginners is traditional.
- Fold the thread in half, thread the tails into the eye of the needle. Next, you need to stick the thread from the wrong side into the lower left corner of the future cross, leaving a small loop. Insert the needle into the upper right corner from the front side, gently hook the loop, tighten.
- Start embroidering the required number of crosses.
- Fasten the thread from the back under the existing crosses or make a few stitches in place of the future.
Cross stitch patterns for beginners
It is not recommended to start training on complex schemes. It is better to choose a small picture with a small set of color shades.
Mini embroidery can be used in the interior, on clothes, hide a stain on the tablecloth, etc. Complicate schemes gradually. In ready-made kits, the level of complexity of the drawing is often indicated, so making the right choice will not be difficult.
How to make a photo scheme
Cross-stitch for beginners is possible only according to the schematic drawing. You can find a ready-made version or make it yourself from any picture using the pixelization method. The main ways:
- special programs, for example: Cross, PCStitch and others.
- graph paper and pencils.
Beginners and experienced needlewomen sometimes make a mistake. Learning not to make mistakes and correct existing ones will help the table:
Strikethrough marker with marker.
If the paper is glossy, try erasing the marker or pen with alcohol. In the future, always keep close to hand several copies of the scheme or cross out the cells so that the shade number is visible.
Wrong direction of stitches.
Carefully spread the wrong crosses with scissors or a steam tinner. Do not pull long threads. Remove the remnants of the cross (you can use ordinary tape for this). Trim the canvas structure with a needle. Correct the defect by observing proper stitching.
The drawing does not fit.
Grow a piece of the same canvas to the missing section. Some needlewomen continue to embroider the pattern on another piece, and then very carefully connect the two fabrics with crosses.
The marker does not wash off the fabric.
Sew the background in a half-cross.