Fans of home gardening have gained experience in growing pineapple indoors. With the right approach, a fruit is obtained that does not differ in taste from its counterpart, who grew up in the tropics. It is important to successfully choose planting material and create favorable conditions for the plant, similar to natural ones.
Selection of planting material
Choosing the right fruit is the first important condition to grow pineapple at home. The main criteria:
- leaves have a rich green color and a rigid structure;
- the peel is golden yellow (the presence of gray spots is unacceptable);
- pleasant sweet smell;
- the fruit is moderately elastic (too hard or too loose - a characteristic of poor quality pineapples);
- summer - the beginning of autumn - the best time to purchase planting material (in winter, the probability of freezing the fetus is high).
Preparation for landing
The most affordable way to grow an exotic plant is to plant a pineapple from the top. It is also called a rosette or crown. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- Grasp the leaf outlet with your hand and carefully unscrew it. Together with the leaves, the stem should separate (this is a small cone-shaped shortened structure).
- In an unripe fetus, the crown is poorly separated. In this case, it is cut with a knife directed at an angle of 45 °. A horizontal cut cannot be done so as not to damage the stem.
- The future root system of pineapple grows from the stem. It must be thoroughly cleaned of the remains of the pulp in order to prevent the process of decay.
- Cut off the top with the leaves, stepping back from the tuft of 3 cm. Carefully remove the lower leaves so as not to damage the kidneys.
- Pre-germinate the cutlery, place it in a container with settled water at room temperature to a depth of 3-4 cm.
- Place the container with the handle in a warm, bright place with a constant air temperature. Change water every 2-3 days.
- The first roots appear after about 3 weeks, after which the outlet can be planted.
Soil mix and capacity
For the first planting of the cuttings, an ordinary low flower pot with a diameter of 30-35 cm is suitable, because the root system of the pineapple is formed in the upper soil layer. At the bottom there must be a hole for draining water. For future transplants, it is important to choose low flowerpots with a large diameter. To grow pineapple at home, you need a loose nutritious soil, which can be purchased at a flower shop (Universal is suitable) or prepared independently. Variants of soil mixtures:
- peat and river sand (1: 1);
- soddy soil, leaf, peat, birch sawdust, coarse sand (3: 2: 2: 2: 1);
- leaf humus, soddy soil, sand, peat (2: 1: 1: 1).
Proper planting is the key to the successful development of the plant. Algorithm of actions:
- 2 days before planting, treat the soil with boiling water or a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- A layer of expanded clay (pebbles, perlite, crushed stone) should be filled up at the bottom of the flowerpot. The thickness of the drainage layer is 2-3 cm.
- Fill the container with prepared soil.
- In the middle of the pot, make a hole about 3 cm deep, place the rooted cuttings in it, and fill it with soil to the level of the leaves.
- Compact the soil.
- Water the plant with a little warm water.
- Put the flowerpot in a warm place with plenty of light (direct sunlight should not fall on the plant).
- In cold weather, cover the seedling with a transparent cap. With the advent of the first leaves, the guard can be removed.
- Pineapple sprout takes root 1.5-2 months at a temperature of 25-27 ° C.
Home-grown pineapple requires special care. It is important for the plant to create favorable conditions:
22-25 ° C, in winter - 16-18 ° C
2 times a week, in the winter - 1 time (heavy watering leads to decay). Use settled water at room temperature.
A lot of light. Pineapple develops well in one-way lighting, you do not need to turn it. In winter, an additional light source is needed. It is recommended that it be illuminated for 8-10 hours with a fluorescent lamp located at a distance of 20 cm.
During the growing season (end of February - September) fertilizers are applied every 10-15 days. Mullein solution or mineral fertilizers are recommended (except alkaline: wood ash, lime).
Flowering and fruiting
With proper care, the indoor pineapple blooms in 3-4 years. The process of the appearance of flowers can be stimulated. For this purpose, use:
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of calcium carbide in 500 ml of water, let it brew for a day. Drain the clear liquid (sediment and impurities are unsuitable for use). 7 days pour 50 ml of solution in the middle of the outlet. Flowering will come in 1-1.5 months.
- Cover the pot with the plant with a polyethylene cap, put fuming coals nearby. The procedure is carried out until they stop smoking. Stimulation should be performed 2-3 times with a weekly break. Pineapple will bloom in 2-2.5 months.
- Place the flowerpot in a plastic bag, put 3-4 apples or tomatoes there. Change them periodically.
6-7 months after flowering, the crop ripens. A sweet smell indicates the ripeness of the fruit. Their mass is 0.3-1.5 kg. During fruiting, only organic fertilizers can be used to feed the plant. After fruiting, the plant forms new shoots for 2-3 years, and then dies. "Kids" are used as planting material.
Pests and diseases
Pineapple grown at home is not immune to diseases and pests. Problems may arise if the rules of care are not followed. Some signs that you need to pay attention to:
Hot or very sunny
Spray with water, rearrange in a cooler place.
Leaves turn pale and curl
Relocate to a lighter place, organize additional lighting
The trunk rots
Reduce watering to a minimum until the plant recovers
Leaves are covered with a film.
Washing with a soap solution, treat with Karbofos
The root system is affected
Stop watering, treat the soil with insecticides
Thin web on the outlet
Remove with soapy water, moisten the plant, treat with an insecticide
Wash with soap and water.