Rum is a drink with a centuries-old history originating in the Caribbean. Then he did not differ in high quality. Drank his slaves, poor, pirates. Over time, production technology has improved, and now it is a popular and expensive alcoholic beverage.
What to drink rum from
Historically, it was customary to drink directly from the neck of a bottle or flask. It was considered good form to offer a bottle to a friend after a sip. Now drink the drink from special utensils. No additives - from cognac glasses or tall glasses with thick walls. It is supposed to warm dishes in hands. It is acceptable to use glasses or shots.
Cocktails with rum base are poured into tall glasses or voluminous glasses on the leg, the thickness of the glass does not matter. Most cocktails are low alcohol, since the base is diluted with a large amount of juice, soda. Drink as an aperitif or digestif.
The way to use rum
Varieties of the drink depend on the region where it is produced. Most popular brands, for example Bacardi, HavanaClub, Captain Morgan, have the following varieties in their lineup: white, golden, dark.
White has practically no exposure; it is sent for sale immediately after manufacture. It has a slightly perceptible taste and aroma; cocktails are prepared on its basis; rarely, undiluted it is consumed.
Gold has an average exposure, deep color, astringent aroma. They use it without additives as a digestif from thick-walled glasses, slow sips, constantly warming with palms. Some drink rum or dilute with cola, add a couple of ice cubes to the glass.
Dark aged in charred barrels for 6-10 years, has a strong taste with notes of molasses and spices. Connoisseurs are advised to drink undiluted, supplementing with a quality cigar. Dark rum is found in meat dishes, cocktails, and pastries.
How to drink Bacardi
Popular worldwide alcohol produced in Cuba. The assortment of more than ten types, the most common:
- Varieties Superior and Carta Blanca. White varieties with fruity, vanilla notes. Crystal clear color, light aroma, strength 40%. They are the alcoholic basis for rum cocktails, combined with juices, coconut milk, liqueurs, dry white wine.
- Gold / Carta Oro. A velvety golden drink with an exquisite bouquet of oak, vanilla, apricot, plum notes, a soft finish. Use in pure form or diluted juice, cola. With ice is not recommended - the taste becomes slurred.
- Varieties Black, Carta Negra. Drinks with a long finish, deep shades. They drink in their pure form, without the addition of ice, juices. Black can be diluted with cola.
- OakHeart. Rum fortress of 35 degrees, with hints of dried apricots, prunes, cherries and oak to taste. It is better to drink it in its pure form with an ice cube.
- Bacardi 151. Aging for 8 years increases the alcohol content up to 75%, saturates the taste with a balanced combination of fruits and oak. Not everyone can feel the pure taste of this drink, therefore they are mainly used for cocktails.
- Gran Reserva. Dark rum with amber color, the smell of nuts, spices, fruits. Mild in taste, but strong drink, it is better to drink after a meal without diluting or snacking.
A weak but tasty and invigorating Mojito cocktail.
- Bacardi Carta Blanca / Superior - 80 ml;
- 7up - 150 ml;
- lime - 3 slices;
- ice - 7-9 cubes;
- sugar syrup - 20 ml;
- mint - 15-20 gr.
- Remember to mint with your hands, put in a tall glass, pour in syrup.
- Squeeze juice from two slices of lime, add to mint, fill a glass with ice, rum, soda.
- Decorate the glass with the remaining slice.
Dark rum citrus cocktail.
- orange juice - 50 ml;
- lemon juice - 30 ml;
- Bacardi Carta Negra - 50 ml;
- ice - 4 cubes.
- In a shaker, it is necessary to dilute the rum with juices and beat.
- Put ice in a whiskey glass, fill with the contents of the shaker.
- Serve with a slice of orange, sprinkled with cinnamon.
Rum Captain Morgan
The British brand, has been producing an alcoholic beverage for over 70 years:
- OriginalSpicedGold. Golden rum, aged 2-3 years. It is fragrant with a bright bouquet of fruits, honey and vanilla. They drink in pure form or as part of cocktails.
- 100 ProfSpiced. The alcohol content in the spiced drink is 50%, but it leaves no bitterness and unpleasant aftertaste. It is recommended to drink without additives.
- SilverSpiced. White rum with a delicate vanilla-cinnamon taste, a subtle smell. Like all similar varieties, it harmoniously fits into the composition of cocktails.
Appetizer to rum
Alcohol in its original, not supplemented form is not consumed by all. A great option is a snack to rum. Seafood or sliced cheese, sausages, meat seasoned with herbs are often served with the drink.
Fruits like pineapple, melon, papaya, and citrus fruits go well with dark varieties. If there is no time to prepare an appetizer, you can dispense with bitter chocolate or bread - they will not interrupt the taste of the drink.