Salo is a truly folk product, people for centuries have been using it in salted, smoked and raw form. Sometimes fat becomes the basis of dishes. For example, it is used for stewing vegetables, smoking and cracklings are loved by many in soups, lard meat is fried for greater juiciness. How to salt lard in brine? There are many ways to salting salted pork fat. Here are the best recipes.
Classic recipe: Ukrainian pickle
This recipe is considered a true folk classic in cooking. Salt lard according to this method at home will be simple and at the same time the product will turn out to be tasty and juicy.
- Take 1 - 1.5 kg of bacon and cut it so that you get long and large cubes.
- In an enamel dish, dilute a liter of boiled cold water with two tablespoons of salt (preferably sea), one tablespoon of ground pepper, 6 peas of black pepper, several bay leaves and chopped cloves of garlic (6 cloves).
- In a ready-made spicy pickle, place bacon cubes and press them on top with some kind of load.
- Put the dishes in the refrigerator for three days.
- Then remove the fat, dry it and season it again with fresh garlic.
It is best to store the product both during and after salting in the freezer, after packing the whetstones in a plastic bag or cloth.
For this method of salting, you will need a dry mixture of salt and spices.
- Prepare the product by cutting it into longitudinal small pieces so that they can be carefully salted.
- Prepare a mixture of two tablespoons of salt, one teaspoon of sugar, 1 g of saltpeter, one teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Rub thoroughly with lard.
- Place the product firmly in the dishes, ideally wooden.
- Between the pieces, place bay leaves and finely chopped garlic for flavor.
- Cover the product with a load.
- Keep the product in the refrigerator for three weeks.
- Be sure to shift the pieces in places with each other once every 4 days and rub the mixture again.
You need to store the ready-made lard in the freezer, after drying it and packing each piece separately.
Please note: if during the salting process a liquid has formed at the bottom of the container, there is nothing to worry about. Salt is able to “pump” water from the fat. If the finished product is not salted enough, it is possible to add it and put it on for several days.
How to salted lard in brine "brine"
The method of salting fat in brine "brine" retains the taste of the product for a long time, and it does not appear yellow.
In the photo are the products that you will need to grease the fat in the brine "brine":
- To make a marinade, take a liter of water, boil, add a glass of salt.
- Wait until the salt has dissolved, then remove the brine from the heat and cool it.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and begin tamping in a 3-liter jar.
- From spices, take ground black pepper, chopped garlic and bay leaves and spread it all between layers. Adding spices will add piquancy to the pork product. - Try to leave a little space after each piece so that the product does not lie too tight and does not “suffocate”.
- Pour the brine into a 3-liter jar, then cover the marinade loosely.
Soak lard in brine for a week at room temperature.
- Mix two tablespoons of salt, one teaspoon of sugar, add one teaspoon of caraway seeds and cardamom to the mixture, and break several bay leaves there. If desired, you can pepper the mixture.
- Sliced pieces of bacon grease with a garlic head passed through a press, then rub them with a mixture.
- It is best to salt the product for 5 days in a glass dish in a dark, cool place (but not in the refrigerator!). Do not forget to turn the pieces over once a day.
- After five days, send the container with lard in the refrigerator for another week. Turn the pieces around every two to three days.
It is very tasty to serve ready-made lard with a piece of brown bread, garlic sauce, mustard or any other hot dish.
To try real bacon in Transcarpathian, you need to learn how to properly salt it. The cooked product becomes fragrant, delicate and soft. In the people, this method of salting is called "pepper".
- Rub slices of bacon with crushed garlic and salt. Focus on the eye, but the salt layer on the product should be impressive.
- Pour a layer of salt about 1 cm thick at the bottom of the dishes in which salting will occur.
- Put the fat and fill it with salt on top.
- Close the dishes with a mug, put in the refrigerator, keep there for 20 days.
- After the specified time, remove the bacon, remove salt from it and soak in water for at least three hours.
- The next, final, stage is cooking. Boil the product over low heat for two to three hours.
- Then remove the bacon, cool it and grate with a mixture of crushed garlic and pepper. Leave to prepare and go up to 3 days.
A wonderful cold appetizer is ready (see photo)! For such an appetizer, it is ideal to cook potatoes in their uniforms, serve with green onions.
For salting the bacon in a rustic way, follow the guide:
- Take a pan and add large sea salt to its bottom.
- Cut the bacon with long, wide (about 15 cm) strips, rub them with salt and lay them down with skins.
- Sprinkle the product with a thick layer of salt mixed with a teaspoon of caraway seeds and ground pepper.
- If desired, add broken bay leaves and finely chopped garlic.
- Marinate the bacon in heat for five days, then transfer it for permanent storage to the freezer.
How to choose the right product
When choosing fat in a store or on the market, pay attention to the following points:
- Ideal for salting is a small piece (about 2.5 cm) of the side or back of the carcass.
- It is better not to buy lard taken from the abdominal part of the pig carcass. Do not buy brisket. In the area of the belly, there is a sinewy film, and the fat will be very stiff.
- Beware of the product of a grayish or yellow color, such a fat must have been part of an old, sick animal. Tasty and fresh lard of the piglet has a pleasant soft pink color, and its layer does not stick to your hands.
- When buying fat, smell it. If you are trying to sell boar fat, you will immediately feel a specific, sharp and very unpleasant odor.
- You should consider the skin. It should be thin, pleasant pinkish or yellowish. Certified products are branded.
Be sure to consider some folk tricks that are passed on from generation to generation:
- Choose for salting fresh and soft lard with a neat skin.
- Before salting, be sure to thoroughly wash the product and singe the skin, if necessary.
- So that the fat is soft and juicy after salting, it must first be soaked in boiled or brine water at room temperature for half a day.
- Salo absorbs odors very quickly. If at the time of purchase you put it in one bag with fish, you can get rid of the obvious fishy smell by soaking the bacon for several hours in boiled water with a chopped head of garlic. Pre-wrap it in a thin cloth (gauze will do).
- To salting fat, use large sea or table salt, it can not only salt the product, but also remove excess water from it, and also preserve all the useful properties of the product.
- Do not be afraid to salt the fat, it is impossible! The product absorbs as many spices and salt as it needs. If you find that there is little salt, remove the lard and re-salt.
- Do not store the fat in the light, so the pieces will quickly turn yellow .-
Lard should be salted only in the refrigerator and best of all under the press.
How to speed up the salting process
If you really want homemade lard, and the salting process is long, but there is not enough patience to wait for weeks, use the following recommendations.
The speed of cooking homemade salted pork fat depends primarily on the thickness of the pieces of fat, and not on the amount of salt. To feast on bacon in a day, just cut the product into small squares, slices 5x5 cm in size and use any pickling recipe that you like.
Another useful tip from experienced housewives: salt the product a day at room temperature. Such a “daily” fat “clings” faster.
Salo is a very healthy product and simply indispensable for people who love pork. Bacon can be fried by adding to scrambled eggs, in salads, use it as a filling for meat, minced meat, cook various dishes.
What is the benefit of fat
Fat in moderation is very useful, because it has a high calorie content, and therefore is able to envelop the walls of the stomach and improve the digestive tract. When eating fat during noisy parties and feasts, the walls of the stomach will be protected from the negative effects of alcohol.
Fat can increase immunity. Eat it with garlic in the winter, and your body will say “thank you”! It is useful to make a smear from fat and garlic on bread, which kills colds and microbes. This product removes cholesterol and heavy metals from our body.
Only homemade salted pork fat from a healthy animal has useful properties, so choose the product carefully and carefully observe the technology of salting it. Salting of bacon is predominantly carried out with sea salt, so the product is better saturated and will not be bitter.
How to salt lard in brine, describes in detail a step-by-step video master class:
How tasty to salt salves or bacon.