Ukrainian borscht is known far beyond Ukraine. The main ingredient that makes borscht so recognizable is beets, which give it a distinctive color. But that is not all! A variety of vegetables, herbs, meats and lard, as well as necessarily great Ukrainian donuts. The recipe for Ukrainian borsch can be presented in its traditional form or in its variations. We will help you cook delicious borsch and choose your favorite recipe.
Ukrainian borsch with meat and donuts
Traditional is Ukrainian borsch on meat broth with donuts. Thanks to the proposed step-by-step recipe, you can appreciate the real taste of national cuisine.
Quantity - 6 servings
Preparation - pan, frying pan, cutting board, knife
Cooking time - 120 minutes
Calorie content 100 g of product - 100 kcal
Just note that the calorie content of the dish is a conditional figure. If you cook borsch on pork, this figure may be higher, on lean beef - slightly lower.
To prepare the dish you will need:
- A piece of meat (pork) on the bone - 500 g
- Salo - 50 g
- White cabbage - 300 g
- Beets - 2 pieces
- Potato - 4-5 pieces
- Onions, carrots - 1 each
- Bell pepper - 2 pieces
- Tomato paste - 3-4 tablespoons
- Flour - 2 tablespoons
- Ghee or vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Table vinegar (9%) - 1 tablespoon
- Greens in any quantity and spices
- We set to cook the meat over low heat, periodically removing the foam.
- During cooking, we prepare vegetables. Beets and carrots need to be peeled and cut into thin strips. As a last resort, you can rub them on a coarse grater.
- Peel the potatoes and chop. In a traditional borsch, it should be cut into long sticks. Finely chop the cabbage.
- Fry carrots, beets, pre-sprinkled with table vinegar, in hot oil. We continue to stew vegetables for 4-6 minutes.
- After an hour of cooking meat, spread the fried roots in the broth. Add potatoes and cabbage there. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the fat and fry in a skillet over low heat. As soon as the fat melts, add the chopped onion and fry it until golden brown.
- Gently sprinkle dressing with flour and mix thoroughly. Add tomato paste, sugar and after 1-2 minutes run into borsch.
- We cook the dish until the vegetables are ready. Five minutes before the end, add herbs, bay leaf and other spices.
- Borsch is served in wide plates with donuts and garlic dressing, the recipe of which is read below.
Ukrainian red borsch with beans: recipe with photo
You want to cook the original borsch, then cook the borsch with beans. This is not just a tasty dish, but also a large number of vitamins.
Quantity - 8 servings
Cooking time - 1.5 hours
Calorie content - 50-60 kcal (depending on the ingredients used)
The cooking time is indicated on the basis that the beans are soaked in water in advance and infused for 4-5 hours. Otherwise, it will have to be cooked for at least two hours.
We will prepare the necessary products:
- Beans - 200-300 g
- Beets, carrots, onions - 1 each
- Cabbage - 250 gr
- Potato - 3 pieces
- Spices and herbs to taste
- Refueling oil - 1 tablespoon
- Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
- Sugar and salt - 1 tablespoon
- Pre-soaked beans are cooked until half cooked for 50-60 minutes.
- While the beans are boiling, prepare the vegetables. We clean potatoes, beets, carrots and onions .-
- We cut the potatoes into cubes or cubes, and the remaining ingredients - into strips. Shred the cabbage.
- Put potatoes, cabbage and some carrots in the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- In oil, fry the beets for 4 minutes and put this gravy in a saucepan.
- Separately, fry the onions with the remaining carrots. After a couple of minutes, add the same tomato paste.
- We spread the onion with carrots in the borsch and cook it for another 10 minutes .-
- Add spices and herbs to taste.
Tip: before serving the borsch on the table, you need to let it brew for 20-30 minutes, then it will be even tastier.
Lean Ukrainian borsch
After the holidays, I want something tasty, but light. We offer to cook vegetarian borsch.
Quantity - 6 servings
Cooking time - 1 hour
Calorie content - 30-35 kcal-
You will need:
- Beans -100 gr.
- Beets, carrots, onions, celery - 1 each
- Potatoes - 3-4 pieces
- Cabbage - 500 g
- Dried mushrooms - 50 g
- Bell pepper - 1 piece
- Flour - 1 tablespoon
- Greens and spices - a little
- Salt and sugar - 1 tablespoon each
- Vegetable oil (and, ideally, olive) - 4 tablespoons
- Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons -
- Soaked pre-beans set to cook. We wait until the water boils, then cook the beans for an hour on low heat.
- At the same time, cook mushrooms pre-soaked for one hour in salted water for 45 minutes.
- While the beans and mushrooms are boiling, peel all the vegetables and chop them. We lay the beets in the broth and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- At this time, sprinkle the potatoes with flour and fry it in oil in a saucepan for 2 minutes.
- We spread potatoes and cabbage into the broth.
- Fry carrots and onions, adding tomato paste and sweet pepper.
- Add dressing to the pan, sprinkle with herbs and let it brew for 15-20 minutes.
Recommendation: the soup is cooked at the indicated time, if you pre-soak the beans for 3-4 hours.
How to serve Ukrainian borsch on the table
To properly serve real Ukrainian borsch on the table, you need wide plates. Traditionally, pampushki with garlic dressing are prepared for the dish. This is a kind of small buns baked in the oven .-
To prepare the dumplings you will need:
- dry yeast - 15 g
- butter - 50 g-
- sugar - 2 teaspoons-
- salt - 1 teaspoon -
- water - 1 cup
- Dissolve the yeast, salt and sugar in water, melt the butter, add the right amount of flour.
- Knead the dough and let it brew for an hour.
- After this time, we make small balls from the dough (6-8 cm in diameter) and bake them in the oven or in deep fat until golden.
- Cooking garlic dressing. Grind the garlic and mix it with vegetable oil.
This is how classic borsch is served. Sour cream will be useful at the table, and for modern people it may have been replaced by mayonnaise, although culinary specialists are against such a combination.
The subtleties and secrets of cooking borsch
- Ukrainian borscht simply must be rich and rich, even if it is dietary .-
- If you cook the broth, preference should be given to meat on the bone or brisket.
- You can add sauerkraut to fresh cabbage, then the dish will gain a special piquant taste.
- Fry the bacon until fat appears, but do not overcook it in the bacon. The dish will be especially delicious with salted lard, which you can pickle at home yourself.
- In order for the broth to be transparent, cook the meat with the lid ajar, then the thick will look beautiful in borsch.
- Be sure to follow our instructions and follow the bookmarking procedure for the ingredients. Then they all boil evenly and do not digest.
A step-by-step recipe for a classic Ukrainian borsch is shown in a video workshop. The video will be especially useful for those who have just begun to learn the basics of cooking meat soups.
Ukrainian borsch. The recipe for Ukrainian borsch. How to cook Ukrainian borsch?
These were only traditional borscht recipes. We will be glad if you share your ideas in the comments, or maybe the tricks of cooking borscht.