Rabbits are not only valuable fur, but also ... care. In order for your pets to grow beautiful and large, you need to provide them with a good “apartment”. Do-it-yourself cages for rabbits are a laborious, but interesting process, which you can master thanks to our recommendations. You do not have to look for specialists and buy finished buildings. With the help of the proposed master class, you will make cells of the size that you need.
What tools and materials need to be prepared
Starting the construction of houses for rabbits, prepare everything you need for work. This will allow you not to be distracted and finish the job in a shorter time.
From the tools you will need:
- wood hacksaw
- a corner
In addition, you must have at least minimal skills with this inventory.
The choice of material directly depends on your design. But in any case, it will be necessary:
- plywood sheets
- galvanized wire mesh
- wood screws
The cross section of the grid depends on the age of the rabbits that will live in the "house", but it is better to choose no more than 16 * 48. It is suitable for both adult animals and the construction of a "manger".
Important stages of construction
First of all, it is necessary to make a drawing and determine the size. By standards, a large breed rabbit needs a cage one and a half meters long, 0.7 meters wide and at least 0.5 meters high. If you breed medium-sized animals, you can change the cage parameters down.
Any structure consists of a bottom or floor, walls, roof and what you plan to do inside the cage. It can be nesting compartments and mother liquor. Walls can be wooden or mesh. The bottom is necessarily made either from a fine mesh or from slats located at a distance from each other. Carefully approach the creation of the roof. For outdoor cells, tile or slate is preferred, as they protect against sunlight and rain.
All feeders and drinking bowls with a pallet should extend and have a cover for dosed feeding. For street cages, it is necessary to make protection against dogs, cats and rodents. The easiest way is to install the structure on bars 0.7-0.8 meters long.
Cage with nests
Do-it-yourself cage for a rabbit is more often done with nests. To create such housing, you need to follow these steps:
- We assemble the frame from the bars. As a result of this work, a box with a front wall 50-60 cm high, and a back one 20 cm less should be obtained. A cage is best placed above the ground on bars of 70 cm in length.
- Sheathe the frame with plywood or boards. If you plan to make nests, then the floor is also made solid wood. In the aft compartment, we stretch the mesh, we divide both sections by a partition. In it you need to make a hole with a diameter of 0.2 meters. It is located 15 centimeters from the bottom edge. To prevent rabbits from nibbling a tree, you can sheathe the edges of the manhole with iron.
- Create a roof. For convenience, rabbit breeders make it on awnings so that it is possible to open the box.
- Doors are made different. In the nesting section, the door should be solid, but in the aft section, a mesh is used to create the door.
- If you want rabbits to have space for walking, you can organize a walk in the form of an additional structure from the frame and mesh. Sometimes owners make it so that the animal has the opportunity to eat pasture.
It is easy to place whole-mesh cells: you can install them both in the barn and on the street. They are easily processed, take up little space. Similar designs are used by those involved in the breeding and sale of animals.
To create a cell, you need a grid with different cell diameters. For walls and top, a grid with cells 2.5 * 5 centimeters is suitable. For the floor you need to take a grid with a smaller diameter - 3.5 * 2.5 centimeter. Such dimensions will exclude the accumulation of manure, and favorable conditions will be provided for rabbits.
Keep rabbits in the house
Cages for home maintenance are different from the above buildings. Here are the main guidelines to keep in mind when creating home cells:
- We cut two side walls with a height and a width of 07-0.8 m.
- The back wall should be 1 meter wide and not more than 0.55 meters high.
- We fix the back wall on the side. It is necessary to do this so that from the floor to the edge there is a gap of 10-15 centimeters.
- In order for the box to be durable, you need to fix a meter-long rail between the side panels.
- We fix the grid in the form of a floor and a front wall. If necessary, add a few more rails.
- Be sure to fix the rail in the upper level, on which the box lid will rest.
- Also make a lid from a grid on a frame with awnings, due to the fact that the box will be at home and you won’t need to protect it from sunlight.
- Since the floor will be mesh: do not forget to make a pallet that would normally fit in height under the cage.
Keep the cells clean.
So that rabbits do not get sick, but grow healthy and large, you need to know how to care for the cages. Any care begins with cleaning. You need to rake the pallet daily. So that litter does not get into the drinker and feeder, you must definitely make a lid. If there is flooring from the slats, cleaning inside the cage will be useful - manure is not always removed independently through the cracks between the slats.
Of great importance is the moisture in the cells. If this is one cell from the net, then the humidity does not threaten the rabbits. Things are more complicated with structures consisting of several tiers.
With increased humidity in rabbits, a disease such as coccidiosis develops, which in most cases leads to the death of the animal.
To prevent infection, the owner must disinfect the cell 3 times a month. For this, the pet needs to be transplanted into another cage, remove the flooring, feed and pour water. By means of a propane lamp all surfaces of the "house" are burned. Particular attention is paid to the mesh floor, as well as to the bars on which the entire structure is attached - in these places all pathogens accumulate. Regular treatment will prevent rabbit infections.
In the outer cells, the bars on which the structure is installed, and the roofing material suffer. If necessary, the latter will need to be changed so that the rabbits do not get wet from the rains, and sunlight does not fall on them. Therefore, think in advance what material will be appropriate and can last a long time.
Useful tips of professionals with a photo
To create a cage with our own hands, we indicated its size for a large breed rabbit. But, as practice shows, all these numbers are conditional. For a male, you can make a small cage so that he can move in it. But you should not do very small. The lack of movement negatively affects the animal, and you will not get any offspring from such a rabbit.
When planning breeding rabbits, remember that it is not always possible to keep young animals in the same bunker with the mother. If their size has not yet reached slaughter, and the time of separation of the mother and rabbits has approached, it is necessary to put the young in a separate rabbitry. In this case, you can hardly do with one cell.
In the presence of several females, which are kept separately, it is not necessary to make separate rabbits for young offspring. Collect in our master class one free enclosure designed for a large rabbit. Young animals have enough space there to feed themselves to the right weight.
For beginners of the carpentry industry, we can recommend using ready-made drawings, according to which it will be easier to create a cage. Here is the simplest cell layout for home content.
This may be a cage for keeping adult rabbits.
Such bunk cells will help you save space. Based on this scheme, you can make 3 and even 4-tier "houses" for eared pets.
All recommendations are described in more detail in the video tutorial, according to which even a novice breeder can make a cage for his pets.
We build a summer cage for small animals with our own hands in 15 minutes! Rabbit breeding
If you have experience building rabbit cages, share it in the comments. Any advice and recommendations will be useful to other rabbit breeders.