Some users need to protect their information from unnecessary eyes. To do this, you need to use special protection programs, archive data or the system under a password, restrict access functions, etc. How to put a password on a computer, make the most basic protection against inexperienced users? Everyone can learn this skill with knowledge of certain basics of computer literacy .-
How to put passwords on a computer
When using Windows (7, 8, XP, etc.), it is permissible to put the password on the main account that has access to system folders with administrator rights (software, drivers). In order for other users (colleagues or relatives) to be able to log into the system, you need to create a secondary Guest account, in which access to certain information and system management will be protected .-
Walkthrough with photo
- On the taskbar, click the "Start" command, click on the "Control Panel" item.
- Select the tab "user accounts", "change account".
- With a standard software installation, your default account is called Admin. Click on the icon and click "create (change) password."
- We invent the coveted word (or a combination of letters and numbers), enter it in the necessary lines (when changing the password, you must enter the old code word).
- Then, if necessary, enter a phrase to remind. But do not forget that it will be visible to all users, which will help crack your protection.
- At the end, click - "create (change) password."
Tip: write down your code word on several media (phone, player, flash drive, personal notebook or notebook) so as not to lose it .-
Using this guide, you can not only set a password, but also change the password on the computer.
To do this, go through all the steps again, paying attention to the recommendations in parentheses.
To connect an additional account, you need to follow the same steps from the very beginning, only at the 2nd step you will need to select "create an account" and enter a name (or leave Guest). Select "restricted account" and "create account". Reboot to see all changes .-
What to do when the password for the administrator account is lost?
To reset or bypass passwords on Windows 7, we need any "seven" installation disk. With the XP system, everything is set up only with your own hands. The main thing is to carefully follow all the recommendations in the video tutorial:
Password Reset in Windows 7 and XP | PC-Lessons.ru
Unfortunately, if you encrypted any data, after resetting the password, it will disappear, but it is better to lose several folders than to completely reinstall the system.
Other ways to protect information
The first way is to password BIOS. There can be 2 options: put a password to enter or to boot the computer (not possible in all versions). The difficulty of installing such protection is that for each BIOS it is different. In addition, you need to work carefully in BIOS, the slightest mistake will lead to serious consequences. The loss of a code word is punishable by a change of OS.
The second is to password-protect documents using the WinRAR archiver.
- Select the file that you want to hide, call the context menu (right-click), set "add to archive ...".
- In the new window, open the tab "advanced", "set password ..." (see photo below).
- After entering the coveted combination, check the box "encrypt file names" and "ok."
The third is special programs. The Internet offers various solutions to protect information, but most of them are paid. They act in different ways and their degrees of protection vary. For example, TrueCrypt creates special containers for storing data. With its skillful use, the degree of protection is very high .-
Workshop on using TrueCrypt and Keepass
Encrypt data on a flash drive using TrueCrypt and Keepass
How to see wifi password on a computer
If you have lost your password for wireless Internet, use the following instructions and diagram.
- Find the wireless icon in the tray (next to the clock)
- In the context menu, select "Network Control Center ...".
- Next is "wireless network management."
- On the shortcut that appears, open the context menu, select "properties" .-
- Then - "Security" and tick "display visible signs."
Recommendations for creating a password
The security of password-protected files depends on the complexity of the code words. A long combination of upper and lower case letters + numbers is the key to long-term security. It is desirable that such a combination does not make sense (dates, names, etc.) and differs on different objects. -To quickly create a password, you can use online password generators.
If you follow all the instructions, your information will remain confidential for a long time. If something went wrong or you have a question, ask it in the comments. You can also share your experience with setting passwords on your computer, which worked better and which worse .-