Due to problems with blood vessels, malnutrition, stress, and certain illnesses, many people suffer from high blood pressure. Effective medications should be used to help maintain normal health. A popular remedy is Amlodipine, a drug for pressure, which effectively reduces high blood pressure.
What is amlodipine?
According to the classification, Amlodipine tablets are part of the group of antihypertensive drugs that reduce blood pressure by relaxing the smooth muscles of the vessels. They are produced by Russian and foreign pharmaceutical companies. The medicine acts due to the active substance of the same name. The antianginal effect of the drug lasts more than a day, which helps to keep pressure indicators under control.
Amlodipine pressure pills are second-generation slow calcium channel blockers. Their active substance is a derivative of dihydropyridine, has antihypertensive and antianginal effects. The component binds to dihydropyridine receptors, reduces the transmembrane transition of calcium ions to the cell.
The antianginal effect of the drug is due to the expansion of peripheral and coronary arteries, arterioles. With angina pectoris, Amlodipine reduces the severity of myocardial ischemia, preload on the heart, myocardial oxygen demand, and dilates peripheral arterioles. The remedy is able to prevent the development of spasm of the coronary arteries, reduce the frequency of angina attacks and the need for nitroglycerin.
The medicine has a long hypotensive effect, which is associated with a vasodilating effect on the smooth muscle tissue of blood vessels. With the development of arterial hypertension, pressure decreases. The advantages of the drug include the fact that it does not provoke a sharp decrease in pressure, a decrease in tolerance to physical activity. The tool helps to relieve the symptoms of left ventricular myocardial hypertrophy.
The drug does not provoke a reflex increase in the frequency of contractions of the heart, increases the rate of glomerular filtration, and prevents platelet aggregation. In the presence of diabetic nephropathy, the drug Amlodipine does not lead to an increase in signs of microalbuminuria. The drug is not able to have a negative effect on metabolic processes, plasma lipids.
With arterial hypertension, a single daily dose of the drug reduces blood pressure for a day, reduces the degree of left ventricular myocardial hypertrophy, and has antiatherosclerotic and cardioprotective effects in ischemia. The medication does not affect myocardial contractility and conductivity, inhibits platelet aggregation, and has a weak natriuretic effect. Its therapeutic effect occurs in three hours and lasts 24 hours.
Amlodipine is slowly absorbed without dependence on food, has 64% bioavailability, reaches a maximum concentration after 7.5 hours. The component binds to plasma proteins by 95%, penetrates the blood-brain barrier, undergoes metabolism in the liver with the formation of inactive metabolites. Remains of the dose are excreted after 70 hours by the kidneys, intestines, and bile. Not subject to hemodialysis.
Indications for use
The drug Amlodipine is prescribed for the development of pathologies of the cardiovascular system. Indications for use are:
- arterial hypertension (combination with another treatment or as monotherapy);
- stable angina pectoris;
- dilated cardiomyopathy;
- Prinzmetal angina pectoris;
- chronic heart failure;
- vasospastic angina pectoris;
- cardiac ischemia;
- bronchial asthma.
Amlodipine for pressure is available only in tablet format. Their composition, indicating the main and auxiliary substances:
White flat tablets
The concentration of amlodipine besilate, mg per pc.
5 or 10
Microcrystalline cellulose, calcium stearate, magnesium stearate, lactose, potato starch
Contour cell packs of 10 or 30 pcs., 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 9 packs in a pack
How to take amlodipine with high blood pressure
The drug is taken orally, regardless of the meal. The tablets can not be chewed or crushed, they must be washed down with water. In the treatment of arterial hypertension, for the prevention of attacks of angina pectoris and vasospatic type, an initial dose of 5 mg once / day is prescribed, if necessary, increases to a maximum of 10 mg. In case of liver dysfunction, the initial dose is 2.5 mg, for antianginal treatment - 5 mg once / day.
With an infrequent increase in blood pressure, you can take a tablet per day, preferably in the morning. If no improvement is observed, you can increase the dosage to two tablets per day, taking at a time. Long-term use requires a dose reduction of up to half a tablet per day. With arterial hypertension, 0.5 tablets / day are prescribed for a supportive effect. For heart disease, 1-2 tablets / day are recommended on an ongoing basis.
In renal failure and in old age, dose adjustment is not required, but patients need careful monitoring. Special instructions for the safe administration of Amlodipine for pressure:
- The dose of the drug does not change when combined with thiazide diuretics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, beta-blockers.
- During drug therapy, the body weight of patients, the amount of sodium chloride consumed by them should be monitored, if necessary, prescribe a diet with a salt restriction.
- To prevent soreness, hyperplasia and bleeding of the gums, it is necessary to monitor oral hygiene and regularly visit the dentist.
- Before stopping treatment with tablets, the dose is gradually reduced. Abrupt withdrawal can lead to worsening (angina pectoris and hypertensive crisis).
- The drug does not affect the change in the concentration in the blood of potassium ions, triglycerides, uric acid, glucose, cholesterol, creatinine, low density lipoproteins, urea nitrogen.
- The drug can not be used for hypertensive crisis. Dose changes may be required for low body weight, low patient height.
- The medication should be used with caution when driving a vehicle and controlling dangerous machinery, because it can cause drowsiness and dizziness.
- Forbidden combination with ethanol, alcohol and grapefruit juice.
Type 2 diabetes high blood pressure
Hypertension is often observed in patients with type 2 diabetes. It’s difficult to pick up a drug for them that would not affect metabolic decline. Amlodipine refers to medications that are allowed to drink from high blood pressure for diabetes. It can be combined with other drugs as part of complex therapy. The dosage is 5-10 mg per day. In diabetics, tablets reduce the risk of heart attacks, do not lower glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides, do not impair the sensitivity of cells to insulin and do not increase its concentration in plasma.
Hypertension in the elderly
Compared with Eprosartan, the drug Amlodipine from pressure better reduces the performance in the elderly. Doctors recommend combining it with Indapamide, a diuretic that differs from other diuretics in safety and in the absence of side effects. In older people, there is a risk of a sharp decrease in blood pressure when rising from a sitting or lying position (orthostatic hypotension). The medicine for pressure Amlodipine eliminates this problem, act smoothly and evenly. The dosage is 2.5-5 mg / day.
If you take an increased dose of the drug, it can cause an overdose. Its symptoms are a sharp decrease in pressure, the development of reflex tachycardia and peripheral vasodilation with a risk of shock, death. Treatment consists of washing the stomach, taking activated charcoal, transferring the patient to the Trendelenburg position (lying on his back with a pelvis raised by 45 degrees). Vasoconstrictor drugs or intravenous administration of calcium gluconate may be prescribed.
During amlodipine therapy, side effects from various body systems may occur. These include:
- heart palpitations, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, vasculitis, bradycardia, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, myocardial infarction, migraine, chest pain;
- headache, dizziness, fatigue, malaise, fainting, asthenia, paresthesia, hypesthesia, neuropathy, tremor, convulsions, apathy, amnesia, ataxia, agitation, depression;
- visual impairment, diplopia, accommodation spasm, conjunctivitis;
- thrombocytopenia, purpura, leukopenia;
- shortness of breath, rhinitis, cough;
- nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, flatulence, constipation, diarrhea, dyspepsia, anorexia, thirst, taste disturbances, dry mouth, gum hyperplasia, increased appetite, pancreatitis, gastritis, jaundice, hepatitis;
- pollakiuria, pain during urination, dysuria, nocturia, polyuria;
- gynecomastia, impotence;
- myasthenia gravis, back pain, arthralgia, myalgia, arthrosis, cramps;
- increased sweating, cold sweat, alopecia, xeroderma, violation of skin pigmentation, dermatitis;
- allergy, rash, itching, urticaria, erythema, angioedema;
- weight gain;
- nose bleed;
Amlodipine at high pressure is prescribed with caution in patients with impaired liver function, severe bradycardia or tachycardia, chronic nonischemic heart failure, aortic or mitral stenosis, hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, acute myocardial infarction. Contraindications for the use of tablets are:
- severe arterial hypotension;
- collapse, cardiogenic shock;
- unstable angina pectoris;
- severe arterial stenosis;
- lactose intolerance, lactase deficiency, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome;
- pregnancy, lactation (breastfeeding);
- age up to 18 years;
- hypersensitivity to the composition derived from dihydropyridine.
Together with the drug, diuretics, ACE inhibitors (angiotensin converting enzyme), beta-blockers, angiotensin receptor blockers can be prescribed. Other drug interactions:
- Inhibitors of microsomal oxidation with simultaneous use increase the concentration of amlodipine in blood plasma, leading to increased side effects, and inducers of microsomal enzymes of the liver reduce its pharmacokinetic properties.
- Thiazide and loop diuretics, Verapamil, nitrates, Amiodarone, quinidine, alpha-blockers, antipsychotics, isoflurane, antiviral drugs (Ritonavir) enhance the antianginal and hypotensive effects of the drug.
- Calcium preparations reduce the effect of the drug
- Lithium preparations enhance neurotoxicity.
- No interaction was found with Digoxin, Warfarin, Cimetidine.
During pregnancy and lactation
According to animal studies, no terratogenic or inotropic effects of the active component of the composition of the tablets on the fetus were detected. A person has no experience of using the drug during pregnancy and lactation, so the medication is not prescribed for pregnant and breast-feeding women. Also, tablets should not be taken for women of childbearing age who do not use reliable methods of contraception.
Amlodipine analogues with the least side effects
Replace the drug can drugs with minimal side effects, according to reviews that do not cause leg swelling and do not impair metabolism. These include:
- Duactin - capsules help with hypertension, a heart palpitations of a chronic nature, have a minimum number of contraindications.
- Tenox - the drug is prescribed for severe hypertension and chronic angina pectoris, but is not suitable for acute heart failure.
- Stamlo - capsules and tablets for hypertension, are contraindicated in severe illness.
- Normodipine - It can normalize blood pressure in a short time, improve the functioning of the heart and blood vessels, is contraindicated in cases of recent acute myocardial infarction.
- Emlodin - an inexpensive analogue in the form of tablets, is prohibited in severe hypotension, impaired functioning of the left ventricle.
The drug can only be bought with a prescription. The product is stored in a dry, dark place at a temperature of up to 25 degrees for three years from the date of manufacture. The drug can be bought in the online store or ordered through the pharmacy catalog. The approximate cost of tablets in Moscow will be:
Type of packaging (number of tablets in a pack, concentration of active substance)
Internet price tag, rubles
Pharmaceutical cost, rubles
5 mg 20 pcs.
5 mg 30 pcs.
5 mg 90 pcs.
5 mg 60 pcs.
10 mg 30 pcs.
10 mg 60 pcs.
10 mg 90 pcs.
10 mg 20 pcs.