Traditional Japanese cuisine is called rolls and sushi. Now they are very popular among our compatriots. An interesting combination of fish, seaweed and rice is not indifferent to many sushi lovers. Everyone can make such a dish at home and treat their relatives, the main thing is to know how to cook cereals correctly, because this is the basis for cooking.
How to choose rice for sushi
What kind of rice is needed for sushi? In supermarkets, there are special departments where goods for making sushi are presented. There you will find a special cereal called "For sushi." This is ideal for home cooking Japanese dishes, but special rice can be replaced with round regular. Steamed, long-grain grains will not work, because they make loose porridge for pilaf, and you need a sticky mixture. Choose rounded grains.
How to cook rolls at home
Almost every resident of Japan knows how to cook rolls, since from childhood he is familiar with this dish, knows all the subtleties of creation, the correct combination of ingredients. To get real and delicious rolls, consider the following factors:
- Rice vinegar is best used because it is different from our table or apple cider vinegar. Japanese vinegar is a bit sweet, mild. If you choose the wrong ingredient, you can spoil the taste of rice and the dish itself. You can replace the dressing with vinegar, adding sugar, a little salt.
- Wasabi can be found in almost any supermarket where there is a special department for Japanese dishes. It is better to choose this product in powder, a small amount is diluted with water to the desired consistency and after 10 minutes a ready-made mouth-watering product is obtained.
- What are the rolls without Japanese algae. Nori is more often found in the form of large large sheets, but there are also cut, small strips. The darker the color of the sheets of algae, the richer will be the taste of the cooked dish.
- Ginger and soy sauce come as an addition to rolls. You can do without them, but if you want to feel the full-fledged taste of Japanese cuisine, then it is better to add these ingredients to rolls and sushi.
Let's look at the main stages of the roll preparation process in ordinary home conditions:
- Selection and purchase of all necessary ingredients and components. Before you begin the process of creating Japanese food, you need to buy all the products that you may need. Think over the recipe, which fish or seafood will be the basis, whether you will use nori, marinade and other products.
- After preparing all the necessary ingredients, you can start cooking rice for your rolls and preparing the foundation - chop fish, vegetables and other ingredients.
- When the rice cools down and the filling is prepared, proceed to the formation of the rolls. To do this, use a special wooden bamboo mat, which will help to twist the regular shape roll. And with the help of a sharp, ground knife dipped in water, you can cut the prepared roll into small portions.
Sushi rice dressing
The ingredients we need:
- salt - 0.5 tsp;
- boiling water - 1.5 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 1 tsp;
- wine or apple vinegar - 1 tbsp. l
In order to prepare a dressing, it is necessary to mix all the products prepared in advance in one container, put on fire and, not allowing to boil completely, stir. When sugar, salt has dissolved, the dressing will be ready, just cool it. The correct ratio of proportions will give you a good substitute for rice vinegar, which is usually used in Japanese cuisine as a seasoning, you do not need to add anything else. Check out the recipes on how to make sushi at home.
Cooking rice for rolls
To make rice sticky, rinse the grains thoroughly with water in several sets until the water becomes clear. When washing cereals, remove pop-up, dark grains, garbage. After the rice is well washed, proceed to cooking. Ways to cook rice for sushi:
- We put groats for rolls into a pan with large, mostly thick walls and a bottom. Pour with plain water, ratio: 200 grams of rice to 250 grams of cold water. All contents should be a third of the entire pan. We cover the pan with a tight lid, send it to the fire, let the water boil. After which we reduce the temperature to a minimum. Cooking takes 15 minutes. Without opening the lid, leave it without fire for another 15 minutes so that the rice is well infused.
- We spread the rice for the rolls into the pan in the ratio of 2 parts of water to 1 part of the cereal and leave for 30 minutes. After we cover it with a tight lid, send it to the fire, bring it to a boiling state, and then reduce the temperature to a minimum. So the cereal is cooked for 10 minutes, after we remove the pan from the stove, while not opening the lid, let it brew for another 20 minutes.
- As in the previous method, the proportion should be in the ratio of 2 to 1. Pour the cereal into a regular pan with already boiling water. Reduce the temperature to a minimum, and so leave the rice for the rolls to languish until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Boiling rice in a roll cooker is easy. To do this, pour 2 cups of washed cereal into the bowl and pour 2.5 cups of water. Close the lid and turn on the buckwheat function for 10 minutes. So rice can be cooked even in a double boiler.
Check out recipes for making rolls at home.